Creamy Mushroom Sauce
- Prep Time10 min
- Cook Time50 min
- Total Time1 hr
- Yield1-1/2 quarts
- 1 tbs ghee
- 2 tbs olive or avocado oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 lbs baby bella (crimeni) mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 tsp italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 4 cups mushroom broth
- 1 can unsweetened coconut milk
- 4 tsp tapioca starch
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp fresh squeezed lemon juice
- Clean the mushrooms and remove the woody end of the stems.
- Slice the mushrooms and set aside.
- Heat the oil and ghee in a pan.
- Add the chopped onions and sauté on medium heat until translucent (about 5 minutes). Covering the pain helps the onions sweat and cook a little quicker.
- Add the chopped garlic and sauté for about a minute until fragrant.
- Add the mushrooms to the pan and stir to combine. Raise the heat and sauté the mushrooms until they start to brown and soften (about 5 minutes).
- Stir in the seasoning and mix to combine.
- Add coconut milk and broth.
- Bring the mixture to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Let simmer for about 30 minutes to reduce and concentrate the flavors.
- In a small bowl, combine tapioca starch and water to create a slurry.
- Slowly add the slurry while stirring so as to distribute it into the sauce. Add the lemon juice and cook 10 min more until thickened.
Note: This sauce can be made a day ahead. If making in advance, don’t add the tapioca starch and lemon until you reheat it before serving.