Dairy-Free Lemony “Cheese” Sauce
- Prep Time5 min
- Cook Time25 min
- Total Time30 min
- Yield4-5 cups
- 1 lb butternut squash, chopped
- 1 can full-fat coconut milk (15 oz can)
- 1/3 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt
- Pinch cayenne to taste
- 6 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp arrowroot
- Chop the butternut squash into small cubes. We’ve used frozen or packaged chopped butternut squash to save time.
- Add the butternut squash and coconut milk to a saucepan, bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer.
- Add the seasoning, stir and let simmer for about 10-20 minutes until the squash is tender. Note that frozen butternut squash will cook quicker than fresh.
- Puree the sauce using an immersion blender. (If using a traditional blender, puree the sauce in batches being very careful as you blend the hot liquid.)
- Place the arrowroot in a small bowl and stir in 2 tbsp of lemon juice to make a slurry.
- Stir the arrowroot slurry and remaining lemon juice into the sauce.
- Let simmer a few minutes longer until it thickens to your liking.
- Adjust seasoning to taste and serve.