Savory Sauced Baked Pasta & Peas
- Prep Time10 min
- Cook Time35 min
- Total Time45 min
- Yield4-6 servings
- 1 lb butternut squash, chopped
- 1 can full-fat coconut milk (15 oz can)
- 1/3 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt
- Pinch cayenne to taste
- 4 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 cup water
- 1 lb gluten-free pasta (elbows, shells or any other shape you prefer). Use a favorite pasta that meets your dietary preferences.
- 4 cups frozen peas
- Fresh parsley and red pepper flakes for serving (optional)
- We used frozen butternut squash because it's already chopped and cooks quicker when making the sauce.
- If you prefer not to bake the pasta, this recipe can be adapted for the stovetop — reduce the water in the sauce to 1/2 cup and boil the pasta until al dente. Once the pasta is ready, drain the pasta and toss with the peas and sauce.
- Chop the butternut squash into small cubes. We’ve used frozen or packaged chopped butternut squash to save time.
- Add the butternut squash and coconut milk to a saucepan, bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer.
- Add the seasonings, stir, and simmer for about 10 minutes until the squash is tender. Note that fresh butternut squash will take a bit longer to cook than frozen squash.
- Puree the sauce using an immersion blender. (If using a traditional blender, puree the sauce in batches being very careful as you blend the hot liquid.)
- Add the water and lemon juice to the sauce and stir until incorporated and smooth.
- Adjust seasoning to taste.
- While making the sauce, bring a pot of water to boil for the pasta.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Parboil the pasta for 5 minutes. This will depend of the pasta used. We typically cook the pasta for half the recommended cooking time on the directions.
- Drain the pasta and add to a 9” x 13” baking dish.
- Add the peas, pour the sauce over the pasta, and gently mix to combine.
- Cover the baking dish with foil and bake for 20 minutes.
- Check the pasta for doneness. The sauce should be bubbling and the pasta cooked to your desired tenderness. If it need a little more time, cover and return to the oven for another 5-10 minutes.
- If you prefer the top to be slightly browned, uncover and let bake for 5 minutes longer.
- Serve with chopped parsley and rep pepper flakes (optional).