Spaghetti Squash Chicken Tetrazzini
- Prep Time30 min
- Cook Time1 hr
- Total Time1 hr 30 min
- Yield8 servings
- 2 medium spaghetti squash
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
Cooked Chicken (4 cups cubed)
- This is a great way to use leftover chicken
- A 3 lb rotisserie chicken should yield about 4 cups
- Or roast 1-1/2 lbs of skinless chicken breasts
- Also works well with turkey
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp ghee
- 1 lb cremini mushrooms
- 2 cloves garlic
- 3 cups chopped kale (about 1 small bunch)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 2 cans full fat coconut milk (13.5 oz cans)
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp tapioca starch
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- chopped parsley to garnish
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Wash the spaghetti squash and cut each in half lengthwise. Cut carefully.
- Using a large spoon scrap out the seeds.
- Drizzle flesh side of squash with olive oil, then season with salt and pepper.
- Place the squash, flesh side down, on a lightly oiled rimmed baking sheet.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes take the squash out of the oven and test for doneness. Using a fork, you should be able to scrape the squash into strands. If not yet done, place back in the oven for another 5-10 minutes. Since this will be baked again, it is better to slightly undercook the squash so it won’t be mushy.
- When done, remove from the oven and set aside.
- Lower the oven to 350 degrees F.
- When squash is cool enough for you to handle, use a fork to scrape out all of the squash onto the rimmed baking pan, breaking apart the strands.
- Set aside for later.
- While the squash is cooking, prepare the chicken tetrazzini.
- Cut the chicken into cubes and set aside.
- Wash the mushrooms, remove the dry woody ends and slice.
- Wash the kale, remove the woody stems, and rough chop the leaves.
- Heat the olive oil and ghee in a large pan or dutch oven.
- Add the mushrooms and sauté for about 4 minutes until they soften.
- Add the garlic and cook for about minute until fragrant, being careful not to burn the garlic.
- Add the kale leaves and cook until wilted, about 2-3 minutes.
- Mix in the seasoning and stir to combine.
- Add the coconut milk and chicken broth to the pan.
- Bring the mixture to a simmer, then lower the heat and let reduce for about 15 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Add the nutritional yeast, lemon juice and stir to combine.
- Place the tapioca starch in a small bowl and add stir in some of the cooking liquid to make a slurry. Add the slurry to the pan and mix well. The sauce should start to thicken.
- Add the chicken and spaghetti squash to the pan. Mix to combine, separating the squash as you stir.
- Taste and adjust season to taste.
- Place the mixture into a 9 x 13 baking dish and bake for 30 minutes until bubbling and slightly brown on top.
- Garnish with chopped parsley and serve.