- Prep Time15 min
- Cook Time10 min
- Total Time25 min
- 2 pitted medjool dates
- 3/4 cup hot water
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1/4 cup coconut aminos
- Juice of half an orange
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1/2 inch piece of peeled fresh ginger, chopped (or 1/2 tsp ginger powder)
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1-1/2 tsp arrowroot
- 1 ½ lbs Salmon fillets (skin-on or skinless)
- pink himalayan sea salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp olive oil to brush grill or grill pan
- Soak dates in the hot water for a minute.
- Pour water and dates in a food processor or blender.
- Add vinegar, coconut aminos, garlic, ginger and juice of half an orange and blend until smooth.
- Add arrowroot and red pepper flakes to mixture and pulse to combine.
- Pour mixture into a saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, lower the heat and simmer/reduce for approximately 4-6 minutes or until thick and syrupy.
- Should render about 1/2 cup once reduced. Keep sauce warm.
- Dry salmon fillets and season with salt and pepper on top side.
- Set grill or stovetop to high heat.
- Prep grill pan with olive oil or add parchment paper to outdoor grill and set to medium heat.
- Add fillets skin side up to the parchment on grill for for 3-4 mins.
- Flip salmon and grill for about 3 mins depending fillet size and thickness.
- Remove fillets and arrange on serving platter.
- Brush each salmon fillet with the teriyaki sauce.
- Garnish with sesame seeds and sliced green onions.
If cooking in the oven, heat the oven to 400 degrees F, place the salmon skin-side down on parchment paper and bake for about 12-15 minutes until cooked through.