Teriyaki Grilled Chicken
- Prep Time10 min
- Cook Time20 min
- Total Time30 min
- Yield6 servings
- 1/2 cup orange juice (2 medium oranges)
- 4 pitted medjool dates, chopped
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup coconut aminos
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh ginger
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tbsp arrowroot
- 6 boneless split chicken breasts
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- Pour orange juice in a blender.
- Add the chopped dates and blend until smooth.
- Add water, coconut aminos, vinegar, garlic, ginger and red pepper flake then blend until smooth.
- Add arrowroot and pulse to combine.
- Pour mixture into a saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, lower the heat and simmer/reduce for approximately 10-15 minutes or until thick and syrupy.
- Should render about 1 cup to 1-1/2 cups once reduced.
- Keep sauce warm.
- Season the chicken breasts with salt and pepper.
- Place 1/2 cup of the sauce in a bowl and let cool. The remaining sauce will be used for basting and serving.
- Place the chicken in a container and cover with the 1/2 cup cooled sauce, turning the chicken over to completely coat.
- Marinate for 15 minutes.
- Oil the grates of the grill and heat to medium-high.
- Grill the chicken for 4 minutes on each side. If you’re unable to grill these outside, a stovetop grill pan works as well.
- Test the chicken for doneness with an instant read thermometer (internal temperature of 165 degrees F) or cut open to make sure the chicken is cooked through.
- Remove from the grill, baste with additional reserved sauce, and let rest for 5 minutes before serving.
Shown with Celery Root Fennel Apple Salad.